Tuesday, March 23, 2010

death of a stationwagon

Here is the story you've all been waiting for:

Dear sweet Britt-Britt asked me Tuesday night for a ride to the airport the following day.  Of course I said yes!  Quality time with Brittany, plus an excuse to go to Salt Lake?  Sounds like a perfect mini-spring-break-trip.  I was hoping to stop downtown on my way back, and possibly have dinner with Camaron or James.

 my baby, aka "the fun wagon"

TEN MINUTES from the airport, my car started smoking out of the hood.  We quickly pulled over, and jumped out of the car in a panic (we thought it might catch on fire.. don't laugh).  Once the smoke went away, we opened her up and checked the oil, the coolant.. everything I could think of.  Everything was full, everything looked fine.. We were debating whether or not to just drive the next few miles or call in backup to pick us up, as we were cutting it close for Britt's flight. 

A white truck pulled up behind us.  A very, very nice guy got out, came and looked a the car, and concluded it was overheated.  We said we were on the way to the airport, and he offered to take us to the airport, then me back to my car (which would have cooled down by then).  So into the truck we went, and got Brittany safely to her flight on time.

When we got back to my car, we took another look at the car.  He advised I not drive it very far, then went on his way.  I decided to drive to Centerville (a few miles away) and wait at Shauna's while I decided what to do.  By the time I pulled onto her street, it had started smoking again.  I spent the evening at the Essig house, complete with Shauna threatening to send me off on a blind date, then keep me hostage overnight.  Around 8:00, the Tuellers came to my rescue.

While Ben poked and prodded at my sad little wagon, we discovered a BIRD trapped between the radiator and the grill.  It was absolutely disgusting.  The bird was baked, in full form... staring at me with its beady little eyes.  We took the bird out, and continued probing around the engine.  Diagnosis:  somewhere in the radiator had a hole and was leaking, causing it to overheat very quickly.  We decided it was best to get the car back to Ogden that night.  We stocked up on gallon jugs of water and proceeded to take hwy 89 back.  I coasted downhill as often as I could, stopping every few miles to fill the radiator with water in an attempt to lower the temperature.  We had to tow the poor wagon for many of the uphill portions of the road, to give it a break.

the nasty-pants bird removed from my radiator grill
 
After about an hour and a half, we were safely back in Ogden.  I was exhausted, and went right to bed.

Thursday morning Ben called around various mechanics getting quotes, and then we left for Logan.  Again, we had to stop every few miles to cool the radiator down.  We also towed the wagon through the first third of Sardine Canyon, and I was able to coast almost the rest of the way.  I left my car at the shop.

Diagnosis:  NEW RADIATOR, $250.  I am depressed.  Apparently there are also major engine problems (that, if left unfixed, will cause the radiator problems to reoccur in the very near future), estimated at upwards of $2000.  Needless to say, I'm not going to bother with a new engine.  I have my fingers crossed that it will last another 4-5 weeks.  I had planned on gifting it to my brother, but with such major problems, it might be best to sell it for parts.  We shall see.

Overall, not the best spring break in history.

~ fin ~

3 comments:

Margaret Proffitt said...

AHHHH, DISGUSTING. I'm not sure if I should laugh or vomit. Car problems are the WORST. Car problems that involve a baked bird? I die.

Elizabeth said...

Poor car. Poor stupid birdy. But totally hilarious.

Cam E. O. said...

oh my goodness!!! you poor college student!!! i feel your pain. That happened to me while i was driving to provo to pick up ,y wedding dress. Talk about stressful situations!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails